You have probably heard of all the ways that you can make money blogging.
The most common ways to monetize your blog is:
- Joining an ad network and placing display ads on your blog,
- Affiliate marketing
- Selling your own digital products or courses.
But… have you thought about starting a directory on your blog?
I did this. I created a kids party blog with posts about parties, decor, ideas, party diy and all the different themes. Then I added a directory where party service providers can advertise their business with a full page listing on my blog. The directory is sorted by party category and region, so readers can easily find what they are looking for in their area.
For anyone starting out on their blogging journey it can take a while to start earning money in the conventional ways. It takes time to build the traffic needed to earn a decent amount from display ads.
If you want to start earning an income a whole lot quicker, why not add a directory.
Here is how I got the idea to start a party directory
I didn’t start out with the idea to start a kids party blog and directory, the idea was sort of like a spin off from my then kids party hire business.
Even before I had kids, I was hiring out party decor and planning kids parties. Baking through nights, packing party packs and delivering jumping castles. This started taking its toll later when my kids came along. I just couldn’t keep up anymore and my sanity started slipping. I was severely sleep deprived, I can’t believe I even managed a decent thought let alone a new idea.
Tip for anyone thinking of doing kids parties: Don’t try and do it all – party planning, party setups and doing all of the baking. Source some of the work out. You don’t have to bake all night and go set up the party in the morning.
I eventually started scaling down and only concentrated on baking (which was still a very time consuming job). I sold most of my party hiring, jumping castle and water slides.
The idea for the online party directory started when I often got asked if I could recommend a face painter or a party venue.
I wanted to create a resource where moms could find all the party services and products they need in an area near them.
In 2015 I created my 1st blog ever with a party directory named, I Heart Kiddies Parties, where you can find all the latest party ideas and discover amazing suppliers that can assist with creating a magical day for little ones.
You can view my party blog with a directory here:
Here is how to make a directory work on your blog
A directory can work in almost any niche, where people are looking for services or products.
- First start by building your blog in the niche you’ve chosen. In this example I made a blog and directory in the kids party niche, but I have also made a local business directory for my town. The possibilities are endless.
- Add a few interesting and helpful blog articles to start building traffic to your site.
- I would suggest to also start social media pages to add value for potential directory listing advertisers. Share their listing with a link on your social media from time to time.
- Reach out to suppliers in your niche.
- Offer free listings to the 1st few advertisers for a few months. (I offered 6 advertisers a free listing for 6 months. I did this to build credibility, so that when readers, or potential advertisers, visited the directory it wouldn’t be empty.)
- Create your packages. I have a basic listing for a minimal monthly amount or at a special price if they pay for a year. This only includes the directory listing and a share to our Facebook page once a month. Then I offer a featured listing that’s a bit more expensive, but offer so much more value. The featured listing includes the directory listing, sharing to our social media weekly, banners on the blog’s home page and side bar, as well as their logo on our Facebook header and my email signature.
The key is to really bring value to advertisers and connect them to my readers.
Eventually as your blog and directory grows – you can also place display ads. I signed up with Ezoic. The good news is that they no longer have a minimum requirement for traffic to your site, you can join Ezoic quite early in your blogging journey, just make sure you have some good quality articles to be approved. If you want to monetize your site by placing ads – you can sign up with Ezoic here –
(The link to Ezoic is my referral link as I use and love Ezoic myself, you can sign up using this link and I will earn a small commission at no cost to you.)
Why I love running a kids Party Blog and Directory
I love the freedom of working online and from home.
I earn money from my kids party blog directly through the directory listings that service providers pay for and I make money from display ads through Ezoic.
I also love helping mom (or dad) entrepreneurs, who don’t always have the know-how or large budget for advertising, to promote their small business. I love blogging about kids parties and helping advertisers reach potential customers.
You can find my party blog with directory here: I Heart Kiddies Parties